TFS 2010 Activities

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Are there any plans to implement these tasks as Build Activities for integration into TFS 2010's WF-based process templates? I know you can use TFS 2010's "legacy" support for MSBuild, but it would be nice to use the new hotness of WF templates, without having to completely reinvent the wheel.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Have a look here: http://tfsbuildextensions.codeplex.com/. There are currently only one or two tasks, but it will expand over time.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Yes, I saw that project, but as you say, it's only got a handful of tasks (I like the Powershell activity). My thought was that since MSBuild Extension Pack has such a large collection of useful tasks, it ought to be fairly simple to import them into Activities.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Unfortunately its going to take some work to convert these task into WF Activities because the way MSBuild works is totally diffirent to how you go about writing a build activity for workflow.

You also need to remember that this project and its predecesor is more than 4 years old so its a very mature project whereas the concept of doing builds with workflow was first introduced about a year ago in beta phase and a few months ago in RTM, so natuarally this will take time to develop and expand.

There are a few tasks (Activities) that I would like to see, but I don't have the time on my hands to sit and write them myself.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Work is under way right now on the first full beta release of http://tfsbuildextensions.codeplex.com

CtrlAltDel, you are right: "My thought was that since MSBuild Extension Pack has such a large collection of useful tasks, it ought to be fairly simple to import them into Activities."

mieliespoor, you are right: "Unfortunately its going to take some work to convert these task into WF Activities because the way MSBuild works is totally diffirent to how you go about writing a build activity for workflow."

We are aiming at getting the first release out towards the end of this month.

Mike