Maintaining a local install

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I need to maintain a local copy of the extension pack for our developers to use.  They are averse to installing multiple packages (wimps) so I intend to roll some of our custom tasks into it giving them one tool to download and install.    I notice there is a nice MSI installer and I would like to do the same.  Anyone done this.... any suggestions? The less whining there is from the developers the better I will feel.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM

by rolling in, do you mean that you are adding tasks into the extensionpack namespace or are you just editing the tasks file and linking in your additional assemblies?

The MSI is just a simple windows installer package. I may move to installshield limited, but not made up my mind yet. In your case, just create a custom installer which packages up your files.

Mike

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I am going to be adding a task or two specific for our nutty environment... then rebuilding the .msi if thats possible. Is that possible?

I dont want the developers grabbing off the site for newer versions as I need to control what trouble they get into.

Scott

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Rereading... I suppose I never thought about the namespace.  I was working with the idea of just leaving under the extension pack namespace.  Since I have never put together a custom installer there was the hope of doing a piggyback on the current installer