IIS7AppPool Microsoft.Web.Administration.dll dependency

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I'm trying to control an apppool on a remote IIS7 Server (Windows Server 2008 64Bit) using the IIS7AppPool task.  The build machine is a Windows Server 2003 32 bit machine. The problem is that when the task runs, it complains:
C:\temp\test.proj(992,5): error MSB4062: The "MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Web.Iis7AppPool" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Iis7.dll. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Administration, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, and that the assembly and all its dependencies are available.

The problem is obviously the assembly version incompatibility.  I have searched other 32bit systems for a version 7.0.0.0 but cannot find it.

I can get version 7.9 installed on the build system by installing Microsoft Web Matrix but that won't help.  I've searched for tips on using a config file to bind 7.0.0.0 to 7.9.x.x but have had no luck.

Can anyone direct me to a way to either get the Microsoft.Web.Administration.dll version 7.0.0.0 and its Microsoft.Web.dll dependency, or give me other tips to get around this problem?

Richard

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM

In my experience, you can't.  Management of a remote IIS7 service can only be done on a machine with IIS7 already installed.  That is the only way to get the Microsoft.Web.Administration.dll.  I went down this road a year or so ago with no luck.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I found an inelegant solution using psexec (from pstools). I was hoping to keep it all in the build task domain but this solution gets me by the problem.

Richard

Followup:  psexec is not a perfect solution. From time to time it hangs, requiring me to cancel the build and restart. Needless to say, I'm still looking. - R.

May 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Does anyone know if a resoloution to this issue may exist? Seems odd that you can't even use IIS7 manager in Windows 2003 sp2. I get the exact same issue as DWinx. If anyone has a resolution it would be great to hear. 

thanks

MM