Extension Pack and Nuget

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Hello,

Usually when creating a new solution I add 4 projects to it. Each one uses many Nuget packages.

When creating a new solution I would like to have some automatic way to install packages in all of them.

Is there something in MSBuild Extension Pack related with Nuget?

Thank You,

Miguel

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Nuget support is on its way.

Mike

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Has there been any movement on this? I'd also like to add the extension pack via NuGet.

Note that I would like to add the pack as a solution NuGet package only, i.e. not tied to a project as a lib reference, but purely to use in a build script.

I guess there could be two NuGet packages, one for each purpose. The one designed to be used by build scripts only would have the relevant files in the top level of the NuGet package. The one designed for use as a lib reference as an API would have the files sitting under the \lib folder in the NuGet package.

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM

No progress on this yet. Some tasks are taking priority.

May 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM
We've got a solution and many projects. The solution has a msbuild file on the root directory, how to correctly use the ExtensionPack nuget package without adding it to each and every project in it?

Is there some special "build project" type?

How do you handle this situation?

All the best,
D.R.
May 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Dominik

what does your root directory msbuild file do?

Reason I ask is that you could use this file (or indeed after.SOLUTIONNAME.sln.targets) to conditionally XmlPoke in the references to each csproj... (or use the MSBuild model to load up each csproj - which would probably be neater.)

If you used the latter then you could batch through the ProjectReference ItemGroup to get each csproj....

The drawback of using after.SOLUTIONNAME.sln.targets is that F5 in VS does not pick it up - it only gets picked up when you run SOLUTIONNAME.sln directly from MSBuild.

It's all a bit filthy though...

Neil

P.S. How long must we wait to finally get MSBuild solution files? :-)
Jun 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Currently the Nuget package uses the \libs folder to store the package contents. Unfortunately this prevents the package being used at the solution level which is where we usually use it.

Another package we use at the solution level is the xUnit.runners package and it would be great to have the same ability with the MSBuildExtensionPack.

Are there any options available or objections to instead use the tools directory to store the contents so that the package can be used as both a project and solution level package?

Scott.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Sure, I'll take a look as soon as I get a chance, prob within the next week or two.

Mike
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM
So it looks to me like we should have two nuget packages. One package level and one solution level. Agree?
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Hi Mike,

Not sure of the need for two packages, can the solution level package not serve for all purposes or have I missed something?

Scott.
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Ok I've uploaded 1.3.0.

Let me know if its ok.

Mike
Marked as answer by mikeFourie on 11/28/2013 at 9:47 AM