Using IIS7Website with task AddApplication

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I am trying to create a complex set of virtual directories and applications on an already created website so far my msbuild file looks like this

<Target Name="IIS7VirtualDirectories:Create">   
    <MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Web.Iis7Website
      TaskAction="AddApplication"
      Name="%(Application.WebsiteName)"
      Applications="@(Application)"
      ContinueOnError="true"
      MachineName="$(MachineName)"/>

<MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Web.Iis7Website 
      TaskAction="AddVirtualDirectory" 
      Name="%(VirtualDirectory.WebsiteName)" 
      VirtualDirectories="@(VirtualDirectory)"
      ContinueOnError="true"
      MachineName="$(MachineName)"/>cls
  </Target>  

and my .proj file used for source looks like this

<PropertyGroup>
    <MachineName>SomeServer1</MachineName>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <ItemGroup>

<Application Include="/Boppy/Bop1">
      <PhysicalPath>c:\test\bop1</PhysicalPath>
      <WebsiteName>www.somewebsiteorother.com</WebsiteName>
    </Application>

<VirtualDirectory Include="/Boppy">
      <PhysicalPath>c:\test</PhysicalPath>
      <ApplicationPath>/</ApplicationPath>
      <WebsiteName>www.somewebsiteorother.com</WebsiteName>      
    </VirtualDirectory>

</ItemGroup>

If i execute this on the cmd line I get warnings out like so MSBUILD: warning : InvalidOperationException: The specified path already exists.\r

I should also say this is on a totally clean website with 0 virtual directories specified and no duplicate names in physical directories under the root of the site.

The entities are created successfully but I am not sure why I get the warnings at all as clearly they do not yet exist. I could find no examples anywhere as to multilayer virtual directories and applications also (applications in virtual directories and vica-versa), are there any examples other than the offical documentation around ?

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

turns out this is a non issue and I hadn't cleaned up properly after some test code executed :)

However I'd still like to know if there is any documentation around on multilayer vdir and application creation.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM

There are limitations to the IIS7 tasks. Please feel free to log any issues (features you want). I expect the IIS7 tasks to get a refresh in the release following the November 2011 release.

Mike

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thanks mike, I am currently writing a BnD process for a major website and the ability to manipulate IIS7 is crucial to us, I will log any features I cannot find and I think would be useful as a whole to others.