Is it possible to register a VB6 COM+ component with MSBuild

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I've got a legacy VB6 COM+ dll (I know, we're living in the past 8-) that I need to register in to an application in to Component Services as part of deployment package I am writing with MSBuild.

I've tried the MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Computer.ComponentServices AddComponent task, but that fails with "The Assembly is not a valid .Net assembly" which is correct. I've had a look round, and can't see any one else even trying to do this, but I'd thought I'd ask and see if any else has managed to do this, or even how it could be done?

If it requires creating a new task I'd be more than happy to contribute it.

Thanks

Dave

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You may be able to tweak the existing task. Feel free to submit an update :-)

Mike

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've had a quick look through the source code, and I think your suggestion is the best option. I'll come up with any new task actions to get me done. Once done I'll create a patch, although on the way, I might need some pointers on the naming so it fits in with the rest of the extension pack (great work btw).

Thanks

Dave

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hi Mike,

I've had a bit of a play with the code tonight, and now have a CreateApplication TaskAction, so I have proved what I want to do can be done, I'll flesh out the rest over the next few days.

Thanks

Dave

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Great, if you submit a patch I'll get it integrated for the next release.

Mike

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hi Mike,

A quick question, I've been working in the Main structure (for .net 4.0), should I also make changes in the Main3.5 to maintain compatibility (no problem for this, I've not used any 4.0 specific techniques)

A quick rundown of what I have done

• MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Computer.ComponentServices
    • Added TaskActions
      • CreateApplication
      • AddNativeComponent
      • SetAccessIisIntrinsicProperties
    • Properties to support above TaskActions
  • MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Web.Iis7WebSite
    • Added support for Virtual Directory
      • LogonMethod
      • UserName
      • Password

Hope this is all OK with you. I still want to add some work relating to Queued Components in Component Services, but I think what I have now is useful.

Regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hi Dave

If you submit code for any branch I'll ensure it's implemented in any others that are applicable.

Thanks for your efforts, I look forward to integrating them

Mike

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Hi Mike,

I have just submitted the code changes in patch#11718

Hope it meets your approval, I've not done the extra work on the queued components, thought it best to get it submitted as it is.

Regards,

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Thanks Dave

Can you do me a favour and submit the full file(s) rather than a .patch file.

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hi Mike,

I've uploaded that as patch #11779

Regards

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Thanks Dave.

ComponentServices is in - http://msbuildextensionpack.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/75118

Let me know if all is ok for you.

Thanks

Mike

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM

and IIS7Website updated too --- http://msbuildextensionpack.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/75119

Mike

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Hi Mike,

Excellent, thanks, I'll check these out and get back to you shortly.

Dave

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Hi Mike,

I've tested the changes, and all looks good, thank you, all good to go from my point of view.

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Great, thanks Dave. These will ship with the release next week.

Mike