SDC Tasks

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:38 PM
What is the advantage of using MSBuild Extension Pack as opposed to SDC tasks?

Thanks,
Oleg
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Hi Oleg

I’ve helped out with the SDC Tasks for some time now and still use them for various tasks.

The MSBuild Extension Pack doesn’t and isn’t intended to replace all the tasks in any other library out there. There are still cases where you need to use other libraries instead, for example the MSBuild Extension Pack doesn’t currently have a SQL or XML task, though these are being developed. Also, if you are not able to install .net 3.5, then you will not be able to use the MSBuild Extension Pack and will need to use an existing library or write your own task.

If you are able to use the MSBuild Extension Pack, then I would summarise some of the immediate advantages as follows:

1.    Clearly documented help and a working sample for each TaskAction
2.    Remote Execution support where applicable (e.g. GAC a component on a remote machine)
3.    TaskAction design is easy to understand and read
4.    Extensive Logging
5.    Elegant error handling (a lot is done to ensure you don’t face big red exception stacks)
6.    A lot of effort is also put in with regards to Code Analysis, ReSharper and StyleCop compliance with an aim to providing a better quality level of code.

We’ve got a lot more to come and I hope you will find the library a valuable contribution to MSBuild.

Mike