Getting MSB4019 error when trying to run a VB6 build

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I installed the MSBuild extension pack to the default location and created a build script for my VB6 code based on the example but when I try to run the build I get the follow message:

Error MSB4019: the imported project "C:\Program Files\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks" was not found.  Confirm the path in <import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

I have verified that it is indeed installed in the path specified and that the file does exist.  Is there something I am missing.  My script file looks as follows:

<Project ToolsVersion="3.5" DeafultTargets='Default" xmlns="">

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionPath)\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks"/>

Any help would be appreciate.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Hi Joe

That all sounds ok, but your pasted sample has several issues.

Line 1. should be <Project ToolsVersion="3.5" DefaultTargets="Default" xmlns="">

Line 2. should be <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks"/>, note the 's' in MSBuildExtensionsPath

Line 3. should be </Project>

Prob just some copy paste errors as your error indicates whatever you have is compiling. I can only think that Line 2 is your problem, but your error message has me a bit confused as it indicates a correct path.

Have you made any progress?

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I haven't made any progress, spent most of the day on it and couldn't get it to work.  I verified the things you said and they were correct in the actual file.  They were just typos when I retyped it in to the post.

Any thoughts on what can be goign on?

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

if you open a .net command prompt to C:\Program Files\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\Samples and run msbuild datetime.proj does it work?

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for the guidance I figured it out this morning and gettting some sleep and looking at it fresh.  I have build server that host many virtual build machines and my project was pointing to a build agent on a virtual machine that did not have the ExtensionPack installed.