COM issues when trying to ModifyPath on IIS7

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM

My TFS build server is 2008, running on Win Server 2K3.
The IIS7 server I am trying to update is on Win2K8
I have been getting the following error:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Retrieving the COM class factory for remote component with CLSID {2B72133B-3F5B-4602-8952-803546CE3344} from machine MYSERVER failed due to the following error: 80070005

I went passed it by making the account my TFS build is running under a local admin on the server running IIS7. This is a temporary solution until I can get everything working and I'll try to find the lowest possible permissions needed.

Now that this is "passing" I am getting the following error:

InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.Web.Administration.Interop.IAppHostWritableAdminManager'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{FA7660F6-7B3F-4237-A8BF-ED0AD0DCBBD9}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155).

I have been unable to find any clear answer as to what this problem is.

I can't believe it would be so complicated to use the IIS7 tasks in the extension pack. Is it documented anywhere what permissions the TFS build account needs to have on the target IIS server? Or could someone point me to a thread where this has already been discussed (I couldn't find any but I may have missed it)?

Thank you

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:04 AM

The IIS7 tasks are not supported on a W2K3 server.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I didn't realize that. Thank you for clearing this up