Versioning question

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I have been looking for a way to lock the msbuild script to a particular version of the extension pack.  Not the major or .net version... but the -.-.A.B

I have gotten some pretty strong objections to using the extension pack unless I can

1. Lock the script to a previous version

2. Maintain an older build on that older version  - (source code in house with staff programmers to update local copy if necessary)

3. Update the code and version internally to give us the ability to immediately fix issues without ANY delay

In our case we will never be able to wait for fixes we can do in house.  Stripping the strong name requirements then copying to upwards of 50+ machines doesn't seem like the correct route either.

I would appreciate your input...

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM

You could use the assembly task and have an import in your files which contains a check that looks at the version of the extension pack files.

WRT distributing updates, you could easily maintain an itemgroup of machines, then just perform a copy of your latest build across all of them. I dont see much wrong with removing the sn and doing this distribution.