msbuildextensionpack for AssemblyInfoTask

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Hi Freinds

Earlier i have downloaded the AssemblyInfoTask standalone installer with version1.0.51130.0, after successful installation into GAC, we modified the .csproj files in order to map the AssemblyInfo task, it was successfully working, later we wanted to set the assembly version as 3.0.YearWeek.IncrementalNumber.

For Example: 3.0.1047.1, where 10 is the denoted as 2010 and 47 is the week of that year.

After removing the older version, we decided to install Msbuildextensionpack which has enhanced features as compared to earlier version, we have downloaded installed AssebmlyInfo task from "MSBuild Extension Pack December 2010 (All Files)" and version is MSI setup is MSBuild Extension Pack 4.0.2.0 Installer.

But during installation setup did not asked where to install the dll in GAC or in Application folder, after successful installation of MSBuild Extension pack i came to know from help contents that AssenblyInfoTask will be installed in GAC or your local folder.

But i am not finding any dll with that name AssemblyInfo.dll.

The following information was found in the help content:

How To: Auto-Increment Version Numbers for a Project The most common way to use the AssemblyInfo task is to add a reference to the MSBuild.ExtensionPack.VersionNumber.targets file to any project file whose AssemblyInfo you want to manage.

For standard .csproj, .vbproj, and .vjsproj files do the following:

Open the project in Visual Studio 2005 Right-click on the project in Solution Explorer and select Unload Project Right-click on the project in Solution Explorer and select Edit [project file] If the AssemblyInfoTask was installed into the Global Assembly Cache add the following line at the end of the project file after the last tag:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\AssemblyInfoTask\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.VersionNumber.targets"/>

If the AssemblyInfoTask was installed into the user's Application Data folder add the following line at the end of the project file after the last tag:

<Import Project="$(APPDATA)\Microsoft\MSBuild\AssemblyInfoTask\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.VersionNumber.targets"/>
Save and close the project file Right-click on the project in Solution Explorer and select Reload Project With these project file modifications all builds will have auto-incrementing assembly and file versions of the following format: 1.0.date.revision

I am new to this TFS Team Build,Please help me in this regard..

Thanks