tfs: get project to build from source control?

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I'm still struggle with the 'declarative style' of msbuild targets, especially the semi-documented extension and community targets.

The confusing thing for me is the definitely undocumented text strings that are used as the tokens for the command parameters in the various fields in the tasks.

Currently I'm trying to get a large solution out of source and place it in a known folder location on a build server (just a server, not a tfs build machine).

Then I will use targets to build it and then package it for deployment.

For example, I see this:

<MSBuild.ExtensionPack.VisualStudio.TfsSource TaskAction="Add" ItemPath="C:\projects\SpeedCMMI\Demo1" Version="2008" WorkingDirectory="C:\projects\SpeedCMMI"/>

Now what I expect to see are fields to set the common data needed to interact with TFS: tfs server, tfs server port, tfs server protocol, tfs project path, user name user id, working directory, changeset #, item status (pending, etc).

Can someone please give me a brief explanation of the sub-set of tfs interaction that the targets in the extension pack are trying to provide?

And perhaps give me an example that shows me how the TFS-oriented targets in the extension pack get themselves pointed in the correct direction in regards to tfs and its server?

Maybe all I need is an example of how to get a project out of tfs by specifyinig the tfs path and the working directory?

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I see you are wrapping the functionality of the tf.exe command.

I'll work with that.