Using Gac task for deployment?

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We're using MSBuild for deployment and configuration of several web applications and services. Some of them required certain assemnlies residing in the GAC. At first it looked like the Gac task would be appropriate for this. Since it depends on gacutil.exe - which is not recommended for production environments - I'm not sure this is the right option.

I'm referring to the second note on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yf1d93sz%28vs.80%29.aspx

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

That's somewhat vague guidance. Gacutil does support reference counting, currently the task doesn't implement this option though. If you want to be able to remove an assembly after you remove the last reference to it, then you're going to need a new task. Personally I don't use this functionality. My deployments either add or remove assemblies from the gac and I don't rely on or need reference counting. I'm pretty sure you are going to be in the same boat and the use of the current task will be fine.

If you do need reference counting, feel free to copy this to an Issue and the request can go onto the backlog.

Mike