Issue using ExtensionPack

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hi,

I have to use Msbuild.ExtensionPack to finish one of my task. I have downloaded the source code of MSBuild Extensions.

I compiled it. I copied the MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks tasks file in to folder BuildBinaries.

I added the below lines in my projects files.

<Import Project="D:\Downloads\MSBuildExtensions\Solutions\Main\BuildBinaries\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.tasks"/>

<Target Name="ExecMultipleTasks">
        <MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Framework.Parallel TaskAction="BuildTargetsInParallel" Targets="Targer1;Target2"/>
</Target>

I was trying to run the ExecMultipleTasks target. But getting the below error.

error MSB4036: The "MSBuild.ExtensionPack.Framework.Parallel" task was not found. Check the following:
 1.) The name of the task in the project file is the same as the name of the task class.
 2.) The task class is "public" and implements the Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask interface.
 3.) The task is correctly declared with <UsingTask> in the project file, or in the *.tasks files located in the "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" directory.

Could you please let me know how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Venkat.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Hi

You cant just copy the taasks file. It will look for assemblies in the same folder as it, which will not be found. You should either install the pack and use the task file from the install location or add all the files to another known location and reference from there.

Remember that if you are compiling the code you will need to the strong name skipping -- http://msbuildextensionpack.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=DevelopingLatest&referringTitle=Documentation

Mike

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

BTW, would love to get feedback on the parallel task... I'll try get part two of my blog post out this week.

Mike

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your steps in the wikipage. But still getting the same error.

Please let me know, if you want some more information.

venkat.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

What have you done with the other required files or have you installed the latest version?

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your help. Instead of compiling the source code and using those DLLs, I used the installer. And pointed my build to Installation folder(C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\4.0). It started working.

Actually in the installation folder there are somany DLLs. Could you please let me know what are the DLLs necessary for running this task? I will copy them to my own folder and make the build work.

Thanks again for your help in getting it work.

Cheers,

Venkat.

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Take a look at the contents of the .tasks file. It tells you what assembly each task is in, e.g.

<UsingTask AssemblyFile="$(ExtensionTasksPath)MSBuild.ExtensionPack.dll" TaskName="MSBuild.ExtensionPack.CodeQuality.FxCop"/>