On the lack of XSDs

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I searched around on getting Intellisense working, and found a few pages referring to nonexisting XSD files.

I then found issue #8680, which indicates that XSDs are no longer provided. The motivation for this is a bug in Visual Studio 2008, where Intellisense breaks if you use a task for which no XSD is provided.

I must be missing something, because I keep parsing that as "Visual Studio breaks if we don't do X. Therefore, we will not do X."

What am I missing here?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
IIRC VS intellisense breaks after using any custom task in a file, even if the task provided an XSD. If you have R#, the seem to be doing a pretty good job these days with IntelliSense for the tasks with no XSD's in place.

Mike
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM
I don't know what R# is, but here's what I can personally verify:
  • Issue 8680 has a (corrupted) link to here which states
Unfortunately a bug exists in Visual Studio 2008 & SP1 which means that you will partially lose IntelliSense in the IDE if you use schema documented tasks after undocumented tasks. [emphasis added]
  • Without an XSD loaded for MSBuild.ExtensionPack, Visual Studio 2008 SP1 behaves exactly as described: Before using the DateAndTime task, Intellisense operates perfectly normally, and after using it, it stops working:
  • After creating an XSD for MSBuild.ExtensionPack.dll and registering it in the Microsoft.Build.xsd file (and restarting VS), Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Intellisense behaves correctly; Intellisense works for the DateAndTime task, as well as anywhere before or after its use.
-- Steve
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. R# details are here.

There is no plan or capacity to invest in xsd's again, but rather on new tasks and improvements to the existing.

Mike
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Ahhh, "Resharper". I've heard of that, but never as "R#".

What do you mean by "invest in xsds"?
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Ah I always use that. see the logo: http://www.jetbrains.com/img/logos/logo_resharper.gif

By invest I mean no effort spent in creating, maintaining, documenting etc...
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Wait, you mean you create the XSDs by hand? Ouch!

I just wrote a program to do it automatically. It uses reflection and the .xml doc files. It needs some work, but the results were pretty good for MSBuild.ExtensionTasks.dll. Give me some time to polish it up and I'll publish it somewhere.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM
No it was automated but the bug and little usage meant it was cut.
Marked as answer by mikeFourie on 10/15/2013 at 12:14 AM